Tuesday, April 24, 2012

2007 Coeur d'Alene Ironman Competition

We plan to fly to this event and want to know where to stay to be close to that event? Also, we plan to do vacation after and wonder if anyone can give us ideas on things to see in the northwest United States? Thanks



2007 Coeur d'Alene Ironman Competition


Spokane, Washington is the closets airport with ariline service.





The Ironman is centered around downtown Coeur d%26#39; Alene so any hotel/motel/b%26amp;b located in the dowtown area will be close. Sherman Avenue and Northwest Blvd are the main streets going through downtown and are on the route of the race. Here are two websites giving tourist and lodging information: www.coeurdalene.org www.bb-cda.com





Coeur d%26#39; alene is in a good location to see several National Parks. You can go east about 4-5 hours and see Glacier National Park or you can go west about 4-5 hours and see Rainier National Park or the North Cascades National Park. Seattle is a 5 hour drive. Coeur d%26#39; Alene is also one of the closest points to go north into Canada and see the Canadian Rockies (about 5-6 hours). There is also a tremendous amount of things locally. We have three major lakes surronded by forest to visit all which have lodging and camping (Coeur d%26#39; Alene Lake, Pend Oreille Lake and Priest Lake). We also have two unique Bike Trails - The Hiawatha Trail and the Trail of the Coeur d%26#39; Alenes, here are the web sites: www.skilookout.com www.friendsofcdatrails.org Bottom line is that there are plenty of things to see locally around Coeur d%26#39; Alene and you are also centrally located to drive in less than a day to major national tourist attractions.



2007 Coeur d'Alene Ironman Competition


Dave gave thoughtul and thorough answers to your questions, so there isn%26#39;t too much to add, but if you%26#39;re staying in Coeur d%26#39;Alene, as I%26#39;d suggest, if you can afford it, the CDA Resort is a nice place and the location is the best in the area for Ironman. A new Holiday Inn just opened up and that location is good too, and follows the course route. Lots of good choices though.



While you%26#39;re here, take a cruise on Lake Coeur d%26#39;Alene, maybe drive to the old mining town of Wallace, about 40 minutes east. If you%26#39;re travelling with kids, Silverwood Theme Park is the largest in the Northwest and is about 20 minutes north of Coeur d%26#39;Alene. Lots of stuff to do in this beautiful area.



This website covers most of it, including Ironman information.



http://www.fyinorthidaho.com/



Have fun planning your trip!




I had a bad experience at the La Quinta Inn in Coeur D Alene. I booked reservation, but then cancelled in enough time as per their rules to receive my deposit back. I was surprised six months later when I was billed the deposit. When questioned, they said they had no record of the cancellation. They then said if the room was re rented they would return my deposit. The room was rented, but I did not receive my deposit. When called they said they never said that, another lie, and would still not return my deposit. If you stay there I hope you have better luck with them than I did.




I had bad luck at the La Quinta Inn Coeur D%26#39;Alene prior to the 2006 Ironman. I made reservations there following the 2005 race and then cancelled them in August 2005 in person. There cancellation policy is you have to do it prior to January to receive your deposit back. So I was well within the time limit. I was surprised in January when I was billed for the deposit. When called they said they had no record of the cancellation and said they would not return the deposit unless the room was rented. Prior to the race I called again and they said the room was rented, but that they would again not return the deposit. They said they never told me they would return the deposit. Untrue. I have attempted to contact their corporate office, but they also do not respond to my emails. There are plenty of other good hotels there, but if you stay at the La Quinta I hope you have better luck and service than I did.




Sorry about your experience at La Quinta Inn. Do you know which one it was? There are two in Coeur d%26#39;Alene. One is on Appleway, which I don%26#39;t know much about, and the other is La Quinta Inn and Suites, and that%26#39;s on Sherman. I have heard good things about that one and the rooms are fairly nice as well as the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment