Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Where to Stay in or around coeur d'Alene

I am looking for advice on where to stay. We are a family of three with a 5 year old. I stayed at the Resort in June. Not really interested in staying there again this year. What would be a good family friendly hotel for a week in August. Planning on going to Silverwood, swimming in the Lake, ect.


Thanks for being here trip advisor


Will



Where to Stay in or around coeur d'Alene


Hi Will,



I hope you and your family have a great time while you%26#39;re here.



Here%26#39;s a link to all the hotels which will show their website (if they have one) or at least their address and phone number.



fyinorthidaho.com/Lodging-Trip-Planning/Hote…



Since you%26#39;re ruled out the CdA Resort, I won%26#39;t go into the plusses and minuses, but they have recently redone it so it might be a bit different than when you were here last. That being said, it is expensive and you can save a ton of money elsewhere.



Some other hotels/motels that might work:



La Quinta Inn and Suites (the one on Sherman) is in a good spot for walking. It%26#39;s about 7 blocks (short ones) from the little downtown area of CdA and it%26#39;s right on Sherman Ave., the main street. There is another La Quinta, but it isn%26#39;t quite as convenient.



The Best Western Coeur d%26#39;Alene Inn is right in the center of the ';other'; part of town, just off Hwy 95. It%26#39;s convenient for Silverwood and close to all the main restaurants and shopping, but a little ways from the downtown.



Holiday Inn has two - one new and one so new it isn%26#39;t quite open. The hotel in Hayden is located at Triple Play, which is a little amusement center with miniature golf, go-karts and games. It%26#39;s on Hwy 95 and is only about 15 minutes from Silverwood and 15 from the Lake. Might be fun for your 5 year old. The other Holiday Inn may not be open yet, but it%26#39;s getting really close. It%26#39;s on Seltice and overlooks the Spokane river and the tip of the Lake.



Other than that, there are a lot of decent motels - Super 8, Motel 6, Ameritel, etc. that would be fine and are all in Coeur d%26#39;Alene.



The three I mentioned - La Quinta, Best Western CDA Inn or the Hayden Holiday Inn I think may be your best bets.



Make sure you take a little lake cruise if you haven%26#39;t already, and your kid might like to visit Crystal gold mines, and Wallace.



Have a great time in a beautiful city.



Where to Stay in or around coeur d'Alene


Kirkandmimi,


Thank you so much for your advise. I will post a trip report upon our arrival back home. Again thanks, and this is why I think that the Tripadvisor is such a cool website!


Will




Not the La Quinta Inn%26#39;s in Coeur D%26#39;Alene. I had bad luck there prior to the Ironman 2006. I made reservations last year and cancelled them well in advance according to the hotels return policy. I was still charged the deposit and when called they said they had no record of the cancellation. They then stated they would return the deposit if the room was rented which it was. When called after this for the deposit they stated (lied) and said they did not say that and again would not return the deposit. The corporate office has never gotten back to me concerning the matter. If you stay there I hope you have better luck than I did.




Will,





I thought you might like a few other options for downtown Coeur d%26#39;Alene. '; Kirk and Mimi'; who replied with a list of all the chain hotels gave you information you can find on any travel website. The true gems, and bargains in Coeur d%26#39;Alene are some of the smaller motels without the great advertising budget of the chains. Here%26#39;s a short list: The Resort City Inn, The Flamingo Motel, and the Roosevelt Inn B%26amp;B. All are downtown, unlike the chain hotels which ARE NOT DOWNTOWN. Give one of these a try, you might be very impressed.





Phil




Phil,



There are some nice smaller motels in the downtown area, but since the original poster didn%26#39;t say they wanted to be in the downtown area, I chose a few that were in locations that might work for them regarding Silverwood, too.



If they stayed at the resort in June, I doubt they%26#39;d want to stay at the Flamingo Motel for a week. I would urge Will to check out that suggestion very thoroughly before booking a room. I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;s a nice place (I%26#39;ve never stayed there), though I would definitely have a hard time calling it a ';gem';. The location is very good, but I don%26#39;t think it%26#39;s what they had in mind. Maybe, I%26#39;m wrong, but it%26#39;s a small, older, one level motel.



The Roosevelt Inn is very nice, but since they said ';Family friendly';, I went with some that would be better for a family with a 5 year old kid. I stand by my suggestions even if they are ';chain hotels';.



Here are the reasons why I suggested the hotels I did:



Best Western CDA Inn has a pool for their kid, is clean and very centrally located.



La Quinta Inn and Suites has a kitchen, which is also a big plus for families who don%26#39;t want to eat out every meal. The location is good and it is close to downtown and a freeway onramp.



The new Holiday Inn in Hayden is close to Silverwood and best of all, is located on a water park, go kart track, miniature golf, bowling alley, etc. It doesn%26#39;t get much better for a family with a 5 year old. It%26#39;s also only about 13 minutes from Silverwood.



I really stand by my suggestions. IF they had asked for a ';downtown'; location, I wouldn%26#39;t have suggested the CDA Inn and the Holiday Inn, but they just wanted ';in or around coeur d%26#39;alene';.



I do agree with you that there are some nice, older motels in the downtown area that would be perfect for some people. Also, agree that the downtown area is a great spot to stay and enjoy this great city.




Hi Will,





I received some really excellent advice from KirkandMimi (and nidahodave) when I was planning a trip earlier this year to Idaho. They know their stuff and more importantly, they are great at giving advice that is relevant to your trip. I would not hesitate to take them up on any suggestions they offered.





- CG




Thanks Camping Girl!



I hope you enjoyed your bike ride. It sounded like a really fun trip. Hope the weather on your drive was good and that you come back to the area soon.




The trip was nothing short of spectacular. I really, loved Idaho! We rode up the Salmon River to Kooskia and then headed east along the Lolo River to Missoula. The scenery was great, we had a bit of rain but that%26#39;s okay, and we met the nicest people wherever we went. (My 2 favorite stops were Riggins and Kooskia) Yep, I%26#39;m definitely coming back to spend more time in Idaho.



What a beautiful state.





- CG




Have a couple questions about the Coeur d%26#39;Alene area.





Looking to plan a trip with my significant other in January. We are not big skiers, so just want to know what other options we have for winter time activities or things to do in Coeur d%26#39;Alene or surrounding area.





Also, we want a room with a fireplace and were looking at the Clark House on Hayden lake or Katie%26#39;s Wild Rose Inn.





Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.





Thanks



-Jess




Clark House and Katie%26#39;s Wild Rose are both good suggestions regarding where to stay. There will probably be a good amount of snowfall in January and both of those spots are easy to get to if you%26#39;re in a rental car. I would be remiss if I didn%26#39;t also mention that the Coeur d%26#39;Alene Resort has fireplaces in the rooms. It%26#39;s also pretty expensive and it sounds like you%26#39;re more the b%26amp;b type.



If you%26#39;ve narrowed it down to those two spots, I think I%26#39;d suggest Katie%26#39;s. It%26#39;s close to the downtown area which is neat looking in the winter and has some nice restaurants and shopping.



Hopefully you%26#39;ll get more responses (since I%26#39;m drawing a blank other than drinking hot chocolate in front of a fire) on what to do in the winter (after Christmas season), but some choices are:



Sandpoint has a Winter Carnival in January that looks nice - http://www.sandpoint.org/wintercarnival/



Sandpoint is just about an hour north of Coeur d%26#39;Alene and even without the carnival, I%26#39;d suggest taking a drive up there. It%26#39;s easy access, just straight up HWY 95 and it%26#39;s a cute town. Schweitzer Mountain is 11 miles from Sandpoint, and even if you%26#39;re not into skiing, they have other activities and concerts in the winter. - http://www.schweitzer.com/



Silver Mountain ski resort is just east of Coeur d%26#39;Alene and features the world%26#39;s longest single stage gondola ride. Might be fun and the Silver Mountain resort has some events scheduled. - http://www.silvermt.com/Default.htm



If you%26#39;re into nature viewing, the bald eagles come to the area in November and leave late January and if you%26#39;re lucky, they%26#39;re quite a site. Along HWY 90 near the Wolf Lodge area 20 minutes east of Coeur d%26#39;Alene is a good spot for viewing. No guarantees, but it can be neat if they%26#39;re around and migrating.



Some areas have sleigh rides -- I know there are a few ranches in Sandpoint and I%26#39;ve seen them also in the Wolf Lodge area, too.



Lots of good restaurants, dinner theatre, and as I mentioned before, the downtown area is very quaint and nice for walking (just bring a good coat).



I%26#39;ll post more activities as I think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment