Saturday, April 21, 2012

Boise to Reno...how long?

We%26#39;re going to be flying into Boise in Sept and leaving right away for Lake Tahoe. According to the online directions, it looks like about 8 to 8 1/2 hrs drive. Any quicker route to drive it? Thanks



Sandy



Boise to Reno...how long?


Which route did you get, US-95 to I-80?? Long boring drive.



Boise to Reno...how long?


Sandy, I looked at the Mapquest directions, and they give the quickest route. If you%26#39;ve never been in this part of the country before, the novelty of the landscape will keep it from being quite so boring... but you%26#39;ll see a lot of sagebrush!





Best regards, have a nice trip!



Pug




Take I-84 west from Boise to US95 South (New Plymouth Exit), go South on US95 to Winnemucca, NV (BORING DRIVE!!!), then take I80 West to Reno. Total time 6.5 hrs, I%26#39;ve driven it several times. Actually, boring may be the wrong term....it%26#39;s just nothing but endless desert which can be quite beautiful, but desolate.




Oh WOW, trailblazer, I hope you%26#39;re right about the driving time! The directions I got off the web show it to be between 8 and 8 1/2 hours. Thanks everyone for the info.



Sandy




It should be about 8hrs. including stops to Tahoe if you go the speed limit. There are stretches between the Oregon/Nevada border and I-80 where you can test out your rental car%26#39;s limits, though. However, do not go too fast during the 100+/- miles you%26#39;ll be in Oregon. They are brutal with their traffic fines and enforcement. I can%26#39;t guarantee you won%26#39;t be pulled over, but the speed limit most of the way outside Boise will be 75, except in Oregon, and most cars average much faster than that. Also, FYI: Be aware that there are at least 6 other major airports closer to Tahoe than Boise.




As you head from Winnemucca on I-84 East (speed limit 75 MPH) the road conditions might seem to favor greatly exceeding the speed limit. The Nevada Highway Patrol knows that, and they have speed traps for a pretty good distance from Winnemucca.




I drive US 95 to Reno often to see my son. My normal drive time is a fairly leasurly 7 hours. The stretch thru Oregon has a 55 mph limit, but you can cruise it at 68 -70 fairly safely as it is lightly patrolled. In Nevada, you can cruise up to 80 and they will leave you alone. But, pay attention around Winnemucca. I don%26#39;t recommend exceeding the posted speeds through town. From Reno to Tahoe will add about 75 minutes plus depending on weather and driving conditions.





For a good lunch, we like the Flying Pig in Winnemucca.


  • oil acne
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment