Saturday, April 21, 2012

SF to Jackson Hole for New Year's

I am planning on driving from the San Francisco bay area to Jackson hole after Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has done that drive during the winter and could comment on the time it takes with the snow. I know what it will be like getting over the pass in CA/NV and am not too worried. I know the route that goes through Twin Falls and Idaho Falls and then into Jackson, WY. I was most likely going to take that route but wanted to hear what some of the thoughts were on driving those roads in the middle of winter. I have 4-wheel drive and will carry chains but am I looking at a huge time difference from when I did the same drive this past summer in about 2 days (which included stopping for pictures, food, and only one of us drove)?

I viewed one of the posts posted prior to this regarding a similar question and understand that the drive from Idaho Falls into Jackson is not too bad and the alternate route that is available through Alpine.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

~Frankie

SF to Jackson Hole for New Year's

By New Year%26#39;s Day, you can pretty much expect that there%26#39;s gonna be some snow all over the place. (No guarantees, but probably.)

However, as I mentioned in the previous post, the roads are plowed regularly and folks around here (obviously) drive these roads year-around. The route between Idaho Falls and Jackson is the same route that people around here use to get to Targhee and and the other ski resorts over that way every weekend during the winter. Yes, they%26#39;ll probably be snowy and icy; but that%26#39;s the charm of this area in winter. If there%26#39;s a really bad storm, they%26#39;ll close the roads for a bit (a day or two at the absolute worst), but there%26#39;s generally alternate routes that%26#39;ll still be open. I%26#39;ve really only seen that happen once or twice in the last 10 years. The mountains between Victor, ID and Wilson, WY usually get the worst of it (and that pass does close temporarily at least once or twice each year). If that happens, just go through Alpine and it%26#39;ll take an extra 20 miles or so.

If you%26#39;re not concerned about the pass into Nevada, then I doubt that you%26#39;ll have any problem with the roads around here.

Enjoy your trip!

SF to Jackson Hole for New Year's

Thanks for the info ';Parentof3';. That sounds great. I can%26#39;t wait for the trip.

  • ie hosted control
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment