Saturday, April 21, 2012

General Info

Hello,





My name is Stephen and I am a 21 year old student from Ireland. I am currently studying in my final year of college here in Dublin. I am considering applying for a graduate programme with Glanbia (Irish agri-business) who have locations in Twin Falls, Richfield and Gooding. I was just wondering what sort of lifestyle do any of these places offer for a young man such as myself. I have had limited success on the internet trying to establish what kind of recreational, sporting and nightlife activities are available. Any advice would be much appreciated,





Thanks,





Ste



General Info


Stephen, you%26#39;ll find Twin Falls VERY small compared to Dublin! (Population about 35,000) Gooding is even smaller, and Richfield is a wide place in the road. Glanbia is quite well known here.





Since our Trip Advisor local expert is a transplant from somewhere else, I%26#39;ll let her fill you in more on our lifestyle here!





Best Regards,



Pug



General Info


Wow, the Magic Valley would be a bigger change for you than it was for me thirteen years ago!





Hunting and fishing are big in this area. You get your license/permit and head for the hills. Our family doesn%26#39;t do either activity. I think you would have to tap into local resources once you arrive to determine when and where to go.





There is skiing in the South Hills when the snow comes. That%26#39;s perhaps a half hour/forty-five minute drive from here. Of course, there%26#39;s Sun Valley which is 75 miles north of here. Sun Valley has the largest artificial snow making machines in the world, so you%26#39;ll always have powder there during the colder seasons. Sun Valley is expensive, though. Arnold Schwarzenegger is one of many celebrities who own homes in Sun Valley. Sun Valley is a bit of ';Hollywood'; but then again, the locals could steer you to the best areas to ski there.





As far as nightlife goes, last night I played raquetball at the Gold%26#39;s gym here in town with my son. I had never gone to the gym at night -- it was packed and with the music coming from classes, it felt like a disco. I%26#39;m guessing this is a favorite nightlife spot?





Candidly, I think it is possible that you could be bored in this area. There isn%26#39;t much diversity -- we are an agrarian community. Period. You won%26#39;t find many here with graduate degrees and frankly, Twin Falls is culturally lacking. This is a great community for families with children and for retirees, but there is no comparison to Dublin.





Please feel free to ask more questions!




Thank you both for your informative and promt replies. I haven%26#39;t yet decided what the future holds but hopefully I can get work in the US as I am very keen to experience your culture. Anyway thanks again and who know I may see you in Twin at some stage,





Slan leat,





Ste




Stephen, if you want as close to an Old West experience as one can have in the 21st century, you%26#39;ll get it here. Lots of agriculture, lots of cows, which is where Glanbia gets the milk to make its lovely cheese!





Good luck with your endeavors. If nothing else, you can come here and save your money. There%26#39;s not a whole lot to spend it on. :)





Best regards,



Pug

No comments:

Post a Comment