Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Coeur d'Alene to Boise. 3 routes.

We%26#39;re going to be in Coeur d%26#39;Alene in Sept going back to Boise. I found 3 different routes driving between the two towns.

1) From CDA back over thru Wash to I 84 and east to Boise. It shows 455mi and 7hrs drive time. Not too fond of this one, because we%26#39;ll be coming UP that way from Portland.

2) From CDA east to Missoula,MT, then Rte #12 west to Rt#13 then down US 95. It shows 535 miles and 9 hrs drive time. Sounds like the scenic route?

3) From CDA straight down US 95. It shows 388 miles and 7 hrs drive time.

We%26#39;d like to take #3 and be able to drive right down thru the center of Idaho, so we can see the scenery. But I%26#39;m wondering if the roads are ok that way. Also, is there a lot to see on the this route? Which one would you folks that live out there take?

Thanks for any info you can give us.

Coeur d'Alene to Boise. 3 routes.

I take at least two trips a year between Coeur d%26#39; Alene and Boise. #1 via I 90, US 395, I 82, and I 84 is the fastest but scenery especially in Eastern Washington is boring, it gets better in Oregon between Pendleton and Baker. Its all freeway or divided highway, 7-71/2 hours is about right time. #3 - US95 is much more scenic and for the most part is good two lane road with four lane sections on most hills. Nez Perce National Historic Park is on the US 95 route, also you follow the course of the Salmon River for a portion of the highway. 7-71/2 hours is about right. An alternative to US95 all the way is to take Idaho Highway 55 from New Meadows through McCall and Cascade and onto Boise. Very scenic but can be slower especially through the Payette River area. I generally take US95 all the way except in the middle of winter when I use the Washington / Oregon route.

Coeur d'Alene to Boise. 3 routes.

Okay, thanks Dave, that%26#39;s what I wanted to know. I think we%26#39;ll probably just go down US95 and enjoy the scenery. It looks like a nice drive!

Sandy


Have a good drive, take your time and enjoy the scenery and sights, shouldn%26#39;t be too warm in September and not too busy on the highway. Suggest Grangeville as a half way point so its a good place too eat lunch and gas up.


We were on 95 from CDA to Lewiston and then from Cambridge to Grangeville. Both are nice drives, but expecially the section between New Meadows %26amp; Grangeville is just spectacular! I can%26#39;t wait to get back there again some time.

The Seven Devils Steakhouse in Riggins (south of Grangeville) serves some really great food, if you%26#39;re interested. It%26#39;s a pretty interesting place to stop.


I love the route through McCall and seeing the fast-moving Payette River. Absolutely breathtaking...


My vote would be for #3, with the McCall variation that folks have suggested.

No one has said anything about your route #2, so for completeness, I%26#39;ll let you know that it%26#39;s by far the most scenic of your three choices (National Park level gorgeous), but would be a LOT longer than the other two routes. I wouldn%26#39;t recommended it if your goal is go get from CDA to Boise in a day, but I would highly recommend it as a ';must see'; at some when you plan on it as a destination.

Geoff

  • acne get worse
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment