Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Biking in Boise, need to know for relocation

Can anyone tell me if Boise is bicycle friendly? Do they have any greenways/river trails, or nice parks to bike in? What are the winters and summers like there? is the area mostly desert or trees?



Biking in Boise, need to know for relocation


Silly, Boise has an extensive greenbelt/bike lane system and several gorgeous riverside parks. You%26#39;ll find Boise mostly flat, since it%26#39;s built on a river floodplain. There is a ';bench'; where you climb off the floodplain onto the fairly flat surrounding countryside. When I lived there, I rode my bike about everywhere I wanted to go.





Boise itself is known for its trees. Once you are out of Boise, it%26#39;s either farmland or sagebrush desert to the south, east, and west and forested mountains to the north. If you%26#39;re a skier, there is a nice little ski resort north of Boise, Bogus Basin.





Winters can be foggy, but not bone-chilling. Lows can get into the teens but not for long. It snows but the snow doesn%26#39;t get very deep. Spring comes about March. During the summer the temperatures get into the 90s but as I recall it%26#39;s rare to break 100. It happens but not often.





I would move back to Boise in a trice if I were not caring for my elderly parents, whom I don%26#39;t want to uproot from the place where they have lived so long.





You ought to come and visit!





Pug



Biking in Boise, need to know for relocation


I think it was Biking magazine that voted Boise the #1 city for biking in the U.S. last year. Virtually evey major road in Ada County has bicycle lanes in addition to the greenbelt and trail amenities described above.




Yes, 3 cheers for Boise%26#39;s Bike system! We are EXTREMELY bike friendly! We have all kinds of trails in the foothills for mountain biking, which is a huge hobby around here, and we have the Greenbelt. The Greenbelt runs along the river and up to Lucky Peak Resevoir. It is beautiful and is always being used for family bike rides.





I know there are websites I could send you to for more information if I knew them. Call Bob%26#39;s Bycicles and ask them or George%26#39;s Cycles. Or you can try looking up the Trail system on our government site, I think it is boisecity.org





Good luck!





Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment